14 July, 2011

Downsizing


What an odd word. It’s a euphemism, generally used in the business world, but which has found its way into everyday life and vocabulary… and I love it. It is what I have been attempting consciously since 2005… and with slow progress. I suppose I shouldn’t be too hard on myself as the things I have parted with are small steps that will lead to bigger steps.

I am a Taurus after all, and we do love our things! As I look back to 2005 I believe the parting of 16 boxes of books was the most difficult so far, but there is much more.

Currently, I am working on a project ripping my DVD collection to my computer and then converting the files to MP4 format so they will run on the AppleTV. Afterwards the plan is to part with all the DVD’s, which means less stuff.  A friend suggests boxing them and storing them so that I would have the originals in case of disaster. However, I think it defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do.

My DVD collection isn’t too large, but the process is not quick. The ripping takes only a few minutes, but the conversion may take up to 5 hours depending on the size of the DVD file. Still I think it is a worthwhile project because it would be expensive replacing all the items on iTunes.

Now what to do with the LP’s? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi K-A!! Thanks for the email. I'll write you back this weekend. But I absolutely agree with you on your venture to 'downsize' and live a more minimalistic lifestyle. I've been trying and doing the same thing lately. 2 months ago I donated 4 big boxes of books to my local library. Quite liberating. I don't quite miss it. I also got a Kindle to 'replace' my books.

    I still have all these boxes of CDs though. Again, I'll write you later.

    xo, r

    PS. Great to see your new blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete